Monday, September 19, 2011

UPDATE on Question, is WHEAT FREE, GLUTEN FREE?? What tastes GOOD?

Questions and comments always create greater clarification. In regards to my recent post on Non-gluten possibly being good to try for those with any health issues or weight concerns,  I want to post on here, the answer to the question, "does wheat free, mean gluten-free???" And another follower asked, "can you tell me a noodle that is gluten free and tastes good?" And yet another very savvy reader suggested another alternative for a pancake/waffle syrup. Here's my response in the comment area that you may have missed!


As I received the question as I was singing the "non praises" of wheat for many, I realized I did not clarify what non-gluten really means. Gluten is the protein part of certain grains. It is present in wheat, but it is also in grains such as rye, oats, and even spelt as well as some others. For some,  it triggers an auto immune response even if they are not Celiac, a disease that requires NO gluten whatsoever. When I had an immune disorder a decade ago, I did a complete NON-gluten diet for six months, and then was able to introduce oat bran for my cereal back in, and spelt bread several times a week. Each time I used wheat in my diet however,   my immune system reacted, and I had symptoms that showed me wheat should not be a part of my diet.  I have been wheat free since then, but not totally gluten free. I do eat oat bran several times a week, and spelt bread. Barley also has gluten, but after giving up whole wheat, for a period of time, I found having barley in soups here and there, did not trigger a slow deterioration of my immune system as wheat did. Most will not realize if they have had their immune system weakened by gluten intolerance, or leaky gut syndrome, until they go on a gluten free diet, and see an improvement in their health AND weight.  I personally feel giving up wheat because of it's genetic modification and hearty gluten composition, is a food many could take out of their diet altogether. To summarize, if you feel your immune system is exhibiting health symptoms, try going completely gluten free. The villi do regenerate in non Celiac people. If you then introduce oat bran or steel cut, unrefined oats, or spelt, which still have gluten, you may be able to handle them with out any problems.  I personally do not think wheat is a healthful product for people who have any type immune dysfunction. I hope this helps. Thank you for the great question. The frozen pancakes at Trader Joes, are completely gluten AND wheat free, as is Pamela's mix from health food stores. They will be soft and fluffy and are made from rice flours and sorghum. If you want a chewier, more fiber filled pancake, Tree Street Grains has a multi grain, gluten free pancake that you can google and order online. It is a taste preference. With Traders you pop them in the toaster. With Pamela's and Tree Street, you use a mix and make from scratch. 
As far as noodles, etc. that are gluten free, many are not tasty. And if you serve something that isn't close to what your family has been eating in taste, of course they are going to balk. Try Trader Joe's brown rice spaghetti, and DeBoles noodles and I think you will be happy. I'll add in other brands that are tasty soon.
Also, remember that pure maple syrup has nutrients intact, and in a natural state, but still has a fairly high glycemic load (how it triggers insulin) So don't soak those nice gluten free pancakes or waffles or french toast in it. Also, Trader Joes has a maple syrup/agave blend product that you may find yummy and it has a slightly less glycemic load than the maple syrup itself. We prefer the taste now of pure maple syrup, we just drizzle it, and make it last.
Ok, I hope that helps. Take on the day, and go gently! ;-)

2 comments:

  1. I love agave nectar. It does not spike your blood sugar levels like honey does so it is ok for diabetics to use. And because it is 2x's sweeter than whan white sugar you use less.
    I even use it to make kool-aid with! I know , I know kool-aid has food coloring. I say a little of the bad wiht a lot of the good. And I don't drink it that often to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you talked about agave nectar...the corn grower association (or someone ;-) put out an anti-agave nectar campaign last year saying it was the same as corn syrup! Boooo, hissss! Not true. I use agave nectar in my non caf. green tea, cuz I like the taste and you are right, it doesn't spike too much. We make hot water in the morning and w/half a fresh lemon squeezed, just a scant teaspoon agave and it does a mild detox ea morning and gives a BOOST. So TY so much for adding that comment. And you are exactly right, it's about alot of the good and a little of the bad for great health. If we make it a science, and are rigid, than it isn't a lifestyle, but a fad period that fades. Sounds like you are truly putting some good things on your shopping list. I recently read where our children's health profile, overall, is determined by age five by what they are fed. I did all of the wrong things with Dee, and she is my puny one and has to "work" on her health. I was a hippie, health food nut w/Ben and he has super strong health. I do believe it makes a difference! We learn as we go!!!! Your mom so wishes they had a Traders in Utah! Darn it! ;-)

    ReplyDelete