Wednesday, September 28, 2011

SOY PROTEIN Drinks/Bars.... Are there BETTER ALTERNATIVES?!!

So many of you have gotten BIT by the EXERCISE Bug of late....be it running, jogging, the gym, etc. And while that is great, we all know it is vital we do some good quality foods to enhance our HEALTH and WEIGHT CONTROL simultaneously!

Besides using Complex, preferably Gluten-Free Carbs over stripped, refined white flour/white sugar
ones, we also know that many of us use PROTEIN SHAKES/SMOOTHIES for Energy and often as a meal substitute.  So I am going to give you a few tips on what you may want to consider in choosing the ingredients for these blender drinks.

Remember, that too much sugar, refined or even natural, creates a sugar rush that triggers insulin production.  And we want to always think of insulin output as a prime time for FAT STORAGE!  So using a fruit juice base, adds alot of calories and sugar and may defeat the purpose of the drink.  I really find a lot of friends who use ice cold RICE MILK, and like that it is thin and works well with the power and fruits and doesn't add a huge amount of sugar into the recipe like fruit juices. I like to use 8 ozs. in the blender, with my protein powder, sometimes some plain non-fat yogurt for thickness and I grab a handful of frozen berries (Traders has good buys on them) of mixed  berry blend or raspberries, and toss them in.   I blend it, until WELL mixed, and drink either before my working out, or walking, or as a meal replacement when in a hurry to find something quick and nutritious.  Smoothies from chain outlets that make these SUPERSIZED drinks,  often have large amounts of hidden sugars and  calories in them, BEWARE! 

Now to my most important information on Smoothies/Protein drinks. What do you use for the Protein powder?  For years now, many peope have used cans of SOY protein powder made from something called Soy Isolate, feeling that Soy was a good source. Soy Isolate is in many "health" products, and I do not use it. I use either a whey based or Rice Protein powder in mine, and this is why.

Soy in tofu, edamame, tempeh, is MUCH different than SOY Isolate. Man just can't seem to help himself from "adulterating" good foods sources by genetically altering them, super concentrating them, and isolating them in an unnatural manner. Many studies now indicate the Soy Isolate, besides causing us to be too acidic (we want to be ALKALINE) may promote a certain growth hormone, called IGF-1, or Insulin Growth Factor, that works in an abnormal, unhealthy way.  As we are younger and growing,  IGF-1 is present and working naturally in the body.  When we are grown, we do NOT want to STIMULATE this growth hormone as it can stimulate growth in areas that we do NOT want stimulated, namely hormones and even cancer cells some suggest. This is why I encourage anyone using soy-isolate on a regular basis, to do the research about how it may have a human growth hormone factor that is not advantageous and even could be dangerous. Whey, in simple terms, the protein part of milk w/out the mucous side effects, etc. is often an option. Just do NOT do too HUGE amounts of whey protein daily, as it could be hard on the kidneys and liver. Also, NutriBiotics Brown Rice Protein powder is my favorite, and the easiest utilized, but will need natural sweeteners such as berries, or their Natural Chocolate version to appeal to most people's taste. I like it. I also use Coconut Milk as well as Rice Milk in my Smoothies. With my liquid, berries and Whey or Rice Protein, I have a smoothie that is about 16 carbs, and has about 12 grams of protein.

There are folks who, like myself, really get into various Smoothie recipes. I list my favorites in my new upcoming E Book! I like to stay Alkaline, the KEY to health, which we'll talk about soon. But I use a recipe that uses Coconut Water for the base, ACAI  berry frozen  Juice packets, my Protein powder, cinnamon, and some Chlorophyll in a dropper. Really tasty, and so ALKALINE producing. Even the kids like it. Watch for my recipes on all different type smoothies that help with your exercising and meal replacement. Thanks for thinking about  Soy Isolate, and remember, you Vegans, it is what most all of your "artificial meats" are made from! Thanks for the read. And you don't need to implement it all,  just keep reading and getting educated. This is what  makes most of us want to take the small steps that lead eventually to some pretty fun, BIG results! CHEERS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment